Thursday, December 11, 2008

My First ER/Hospital Experience

This past weekend was kind of a crazy one.  I'd been having horrible pains in my side and when I called my doctor, he gave me his doctorly advise and sent me on my way.  Well, when it didn't get better and I had been writhing in pain most of the night, Mike called him again the next morning and it was then that Dr. B. told us we needed to get to the ER right away!  Now, my doctor sugar coats everything as to not scare his pregnant patients, but he was pretty adamant about us getting there ASAP!  So we arrived at Fallbrook Hospital at about 10:00 in the morning.  Most of the day was spent in the ER waiting for test results, getting poked and prodded with needles (which I am terrified of by the way), and the occasional much needed shot of morphine.  After six long hours in the ER I was told I had a kidney stone.  Seriously, being pregnant isn't enough?  There has to be the added discomfort and excruciating pain of having a kidney stone?  And to top it off, because I am pregnant, they can't do the normal high intensity sonogram to break it up and just get rid of it, no.  I had to be admitted to the hospital and just wait it out.  Before Friday I had never stayed in a hospital, never had an IV, and never had any pain killer stronger than extra strength Tylenol.  But within two days of being in the hospital I had been poked with needles more times than ever, and had morphine, demerol, and vicodin running all through my body.  Since the hospital wasn't doing more than keeping the pain bearable, I was sent home Sunday evening with pain killers to wait it out.  So that's exactly what I'm doing.  It is now Thursday, almost a week has gone by and this sucker doesn't feel like leaving me alone.  The good thing is, I haven't been on anything for the past two days (it was making me nauseous and I'm skeptical about how safe it really is for the baby), so hopefully that means I'll deliver soon!  And may I just say that I love Fallbrook Hospital.  I stayed in the labor and delivery ward of the hospital, which is where I'll be when I have the baby, and it was so nice.  The nurses are great and the accommodations were wonderful.  I believe I got the only single room they had and everyone was so great!  The circumstances were unfortunate, but I'm glad I got a taste of what It's like, and it was a good one!  So wish me luck and hope this is over soon.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I hear kidney stones are way worse than labor though, so at least you know the worst is over...

Shaye said...

Oh my gosh that sucks. I've never had any stones, but I know lots of family who have...no bueno. I hope yours isn't too bad. But like you said, at least you've experienced what it's like to be in the hospital! And if what Rachel said is true...good prepping for labor!! Which by the way...where are some prego pics girl?? :)